Mostly Musings About Food, Family, and Books

Friday, June 13, 2008

Funny Girl


Rachel in 2002



Rachel in 2008


When our young family lived in Nebraska in 1999, I began sending family members emails or newsletters to update them on the funny things the kids did or said. I didn't do it often, but at ages 8, 4, and 3, the kids were cracking me up and I wanted to share the humor.

Now that they're older, they say funny things, but they know they're being comical, so it doesn't have the same effect. Gone are the goofy metaphors to explain the world around them and the humorous misuse of new vocabulary.

Tonight we had a flashback to those days, although on a more mature level. Rachel and I were playing Literati (like Scrabble) on Yahoo Games. We like playing on the computers because it adds up our score. Why would you multiply on paper when you have a calculator?

It was Rachel's turn and she said, "I wish there was an L."

I replied, "The only L on the board is in GLOW." (or whatever word it was...I don't remember)

Rachel said in a whiny, preteen voice, "I want to make love." (Apparently she had an O, V, and E. )

She realized the double entendre and quickly said, "Wait, that didn't sound right" at the same time that I caught the meaning of what she said and what she really meant.

We both laughed. And laughed. And laughed. We're still laughing and it was over an hour ago.

It was innocent. It was funny. It sent me back to the days when I was tying shoes, zipping coats, and reading picture books to them. And yet, it was such an adult moment, punctuated by a rather adult comment made by Drew.

I miss the peanut butter kisses, the snuggle time, and the cute little people they once were. However, I love playing board games with them that don't involve being sent back to the beginning of the board, or having my cherries dumped out of my bucket. I love talking to them about novels that are worthy of book clubs. I love cooking with them side by side.

All the stages are wonderful, but it is so much fun to have a flashback to what once was.

No comments:

Family and Friends Slide Show