I have a new part time job as a calorie and nutrient analyzer/adviser and chef for Michael. A dietician gave him an eating plan to help him put on weight for the upcoming football season. His sample eating plan looks like this:
Breakfast:
1 cup milk
2-3 fruit servings
4 grain servings
2 oz. protein
2 tsp. fat
AM Snack:
1 fruit
3 grains
1 tsp fat
1 cup milk
Noon:
1 cup milk
1.5 c. vegetables
2 fruit servings
5 grains
6 oz. meat
2 tsp fat
Afternoon Snack:
1 cup milk
1 cup vegetables
1 fruit serving
3 grain servings
1 tsp fat
Evening Meal:
1 cup milk
1.5 cup vegetables
2 fruits
5 grains
6 oz. meat
2 tsp. fat
Evening Snack:
1 cup milk
1 fruit
3 grains
For a grand total of:
Milk: 5-8 cups
Vegetables: 4-5 cups per day
Fruits: 9-12 servings (1/2 cup or 1 piece)
Grains: 22-28 servings
Meat: 14 oz. protein
Fat: 7-10 tsp
He should consume approximately 4200-5300 calories per day. Unbelievable! What I would give to have someone tell me that I had to eat that much food!
The amount of thinking, planning, and shopping for this type of mega consumption is impressive. I've been putting things in the crock pot for easy cooking, freezing individual size portions for work lunches, and trying to come up with recipes that allow him to have variety. In fact, David came home from work tonight, and I asked him to grill some chicken. He didn't understand why, because he thought supper was in the crock pot. Oh no! That dinner in the crock pot was not ours. It was Michael's lunch tomorrow, with plans to freeze the additional servings for future lunches or snacks.
One of the difficult tasks is consuming all of that fruit. Especially since the fresh fruit isn't all that impressive in our grocery stores. We've determined that smoothies, using frozen fruit, are the way to go. He can get his dairy, protein (from protein powder), and fruits all in one. They are easy, especially with our immersion blender. (I typed that with a smile since David teases me about the immersion blender. Everytime I take it out I tell everyone that I made two really great kitchen applicance purchases in 2007---a rice cooker and the immersion blender.)
Tonight, before he went to work at the restaurant in town, he made a plan for what he would eat for supper there. He decided on a prime rib sandwich (he's had lots of chicken) with steamed vegetables as a side, in addition to the smoothie he made for work.
And for those of you who are fitness nuts (yes, you my sista Krista!)...he is lifting weights and/or doing aerobic activity daily. He is even doing yoga with me to strengthen his back.
This story is definitely to be continued.
Now onto the Young Love topic:
Drew had his girlfriend over tonight in order to celebrate their two month anniversary. As I stated earlier, he spent the day cooking homemade brownies, homemade fettuccine, homemade alfredo sauce, and homemade vinaigrette.
As I observed the two of them, I realized that there is a reason that junior high kids run in packs. They don't know how to talk one on one. It is awkward and very entertaining to watch. Drew anticipated this. As he went about cooking the meal, he expressed his concern for what they would talk about. He asked if we would eat supper with him.
I suggested they play a game before eating. They played Scrabble. He kept playing for her when it was her turn. That didn't seem like very much fun to me. Then they ate their salad course and moved onto their entree. Conversation was at a standstill, so I had Drew take out our book of conversation questions so they could discuss a topic. The question he asked was, "If you could change one decision you made in the past, what would it be, and what would the consequence be?" It continued the conversation standstill. I tried to help. We talked about what other people may choose as their answer. They finished eating and resumed their scrabble game.
Now they are out playing basketball.
It's hard to tell a kid so focused on getting what he wants that he doesn't need to celebrate a two month anniversary, especially when he's witnessed conversations and celebrations his older brother has experienced.
The recognition of the two month anniversary began when she gave him a cute picture in a cute picture frame of the two of them at track and field day. He had no money, so he decided that his gift would be making her favorite meal.
She is a very sweet and talented girl. Drew thinks she is "Katelike". We thought that was an interesting comparison. This kid is thinking and analyzing his older brother's life. I would never have guessed how much the oldest child influences younger kids. In my teenage years, I just focused on my world and my siblings were mere accessories. I assure you this is not the case now, but like a typical teenager I was all about me and had no idea what influence I may have had on my younger sisters and brother. Parenting teaches you so much!
Until next time!
anne
No comments:
Post a Comment