Mostly Musings About Food, Family, and Books

Monday, June 2, 2008

Damn Diabetes!

Approximately 14 years ago, Dr. Augustin discovered that I had gestational diabetes. I monitored my diet with my second pregnancy, but had to use insulin with my third pregnancy. Around that time (give or take a few years) my mother discovered that she had Type II diabetes. My godfather has it and other members of my family have it as well.

Recently I was at a women's health event. (I go to these things for my husband. Wait, that sounds weird. Remember...he's a hospital administrator...I go to represent.) One of the health care providers said that Diabetes is a disease of the blood vessels. The ramifications make sense when you think of it that way. It sucks.

My blood is tested about every sixth months. I'm considered pre-diabetic. I've lost weight. It's still higher than normal. I exercise regularly. Still higher than normal. It doesn't seem to matter what I do. Although my sister, the nurse, reminds me that it does matter...the regular exercise I do and the way I watch what I eat is probably keeping me from being diabetic at the present time.

Last week I met with a dietician to talk about how I should eat considering my blood sugar levels. We talked about the number of carbohydrate "choices" I should eat per meal, and she gave me a blood monitor. They've changed a lot since I was pregnant with Drew. I took it home and tested the fasting blood sugar level of everybody in the family. (Can you say Friday morning enemy number 1?) The boys were in the high 90s. Normal is under 100. Rachel was 105. Not great. I called the dietician. She said I should test Rachel's blood a few more times and if it is still in that range I should bring her in for a lab blood draw. Today Rachel was at 100. We'll try again tomorrow.

One of my physician's said two years ago that my goal should be to stave off diabetes as long as I can. So far, so good. Many people with gestatational diabetes become diabetic five to ten years after being diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I've made it 14 years. Yet, my doctors believe it is still coming my way. Bad genes.

But really, I didn't mean to write only about me. My mother is now experiencing the consequences of diabetes. She is in the beginning stages of pursuing a kidney transplant. Obviously, we are all scared and nervous. We love her so much and are worried about her. It's a difficult time, but we have hope. We ask for prayers and support as she goes through this process. We pray for a donor, wise doctors, and a body that accepts the transplant. We pray for a cure.

I'm amazed at the prevalence of Type II diabetes. It is estimated that 9.6% of people over 20 years old are diabetic. 20.9% of those 60 or older. Why? I've heard tons of theories, but who knows. All I know is that I want a cure. Look for future blog entries about my desire to fundraise for this cure.
Although both Type I and Type II have the word "diabetic" in common, and the same consequences, that is where the similarity ends. Type 1 is caused by a pancreas that does not produce enough insulin. Type 2 is caused by insulin that does not function the way it should.

Unfortunately, many stereotypes are associated with Type II diabetes. People believe that Type II diabetics bring it upon themselves. Not true. In fact, many people with Type II show immune system oddities similar to those with Type I diabetes. In fact there is talk about Type I 1/2 Diabetes. Interesting.

All I know is that I have a reason to look for a cure for Type II. I will not sit back idly.

Family and Friends Slide Show