Mostly Musings About Food, Family, and Books

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Don't Panic, It's in the Freezer!

I was talking to my friend Tami about trying to get ahead of meal preparation for the impending time when I return to work. She told me about a book she had (and she even let me borrow it) called Don't Panic, It's in the Freezer. The cookbook concept is similar to those stores in bigger cities where you go in and make a bunch of meals that you can freeze so you can take them out and have dinner ready in a jiffy. Rochester, MN has (or had, it is not on the website, yet I swear I saw one by the north side Target last year) one called Let's Dish.

Anyway, last night Drew and I made the one meal serving size of the Chicken Wellington and the Meatloaf to see if we liked the recipes before we make enough to freeze for later meals. The Chicken Wellington was absolutley positively delicious! Everyone of us liked it, which is totally rare in this house, as I'm sure it is in most houses. We will be trying the meatloaf later this week. Other menu items we will be trying are Chicken Pot Pie, Chicken A La King, and Colorado White Chili. I think the Fareway butcher thought I was crazy when I bought so much chicken yesterday to use in all these recipes.

I am now considering purchasing the following cookbooks:
Don't Panic--More Dinner's in the Freezer: A Second Helping of Tasty Meals You Can Make Ahead
Fix, Freeze, Feast: Prepare in Bulk and Enjoy by the Serving - More than 125 Recipes

Anything we can do to make dinner time run more smoothly is definitely a plus in this house!

No comments:

Family and Friends Slide Show