Mostly Musings About Food, Family, and Books

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The Storm that Hit Cresco




Friday was an exciting day in Cresco, IA. We had a severe storm watch, then warning, then the actual storm. All of a sudden high winds, rain, and hail, were wreaking havoc on our little town. Trampolines were lost (one in our pond), lawn furniture tossed about, even roofs flew off of houses. Trees went down (we lost one) and electricity was lost for much of the day for some, only part of the day for others. I wanted to go out and see the damage, but because we had no electricity, I couldn't get my vehicle out of the garage. When David got home, he showed me how absolutely easy it is to disengage the garage door opener so I can get out next time. Yep...felt like a ditzy blonde after he showed me, but oh well!

I was getting ready for our Anniversary date when the storm hit. My shower was completed, but my hair was wet. Our power wasn't restored until 5 minutes before David and I had to leave to make our reservations at the
Old Village Hall in Lanesboro. I tried calling the Fitness Center to see if they had electricity, thinking I'd tote my hair dryer, curling iron, and makeup there to get ready. They were down. I ended up doing the best I could with no electricity and a small handheld mirror which I brought to the window on the western side of the house. An exciting way to celebrate 19 years of marriage. We gave Mik and Rach money for Subway, since we had no way of making them a decent supper without electricity and we were purposely staying out of the fridge and freezer to keep everything as cold as possible.

After our delicious meal at the Old Village Hall, we went to the Commonweal to see
The Rainmaker. It was wonderful. We told Michael he should bring Sarah there for a date. The acting was superb, and it is always fun to see how they will arrange the set.

No comments:

Family and Friends Slide Show