Mostly Musings About Food, Family, and Books

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Busy Busy Weekend!


Quilt made by our friend Stephanie. This is the quilt that David bid on (and won!) at the RHSHC Auxiliary Quilt Auction.



Michael, Rachel, and Allie outside Michael's dorm.


Michael notices that Allie is about the same size as Ali on his poster.


Michael decides to replace Ali with Allie. She's so tough!



Aunt Patti holds Allie during the band competition.


The siblings 2nd time all together since Allie was born.

Our weekend started with a Friday night football game and band performance. Allie and I stayed home Friday night. I am miserable with a cold and Allie was on the eve of a big weekend, so we sent David and Rachel in our place. According to their reports, we didn't miss anything but heartache. We did listen to some of the varsity game on t.v. and we got to hear the band on our local access station too which was a treat! David will send his football weekly to those on his subscription list with all the gory details.


On Saturday I learned how wonderful it was to have a teenage daughter at the same time as an infant daughter! Without Rachel's help, the road trip to see Michael in Iowa City would have been a lot more difficult. Let's just say it takes two people to feed, diaper, and road trip with an infant. How can one little being take so much effort? Although now that I think of it...if I didn't have teenagers, I wouldn't have been driving to Iowa City in the first place. Interesting.

Anyway, Rachel, Allie, and I picked up Michael and drove back north to Cedar Rapids to catch our high school band's performance. David had to meet us there because he had the hospital's quilt auction from 1-3 p.m. (which made $21,000) David drove Mik's car down so Mik could have it for the next couple of weeks. It will make the homecoming trip as well as the trip for the baptism easier on us.

We watched the bands perform. Our band took 2nd, they sounded and looked great! Allie was a champ! She nearly slept through the whole event, only waking up to be fed.

We left Cedar Rapids just after 9:30 p.m. and listened to the Hawkeyes beat Penn State as we drove home...go Hawkeyes! (Did I really just type that? Amazing how quickly you become a fan when you know you're sending thousands of dollars in that direction. Moreover it makes talking to Michael much more exciting if they win. ON IOWA!GO HAWKS! Or something like that!)

We arrived home a little after midnight. We were awakened by a coughing and sniffling Allison. Poor little girl caught my cold. I spent the rest of the night rocking her and keeping her upright.

David and Drew had to be at the high school at 7 a.m. to make omelets for the high school choir fundraiser. And now Drew is heading to Wisconsin to catch the Packer game with fellow Packer fans. When MN plays at the same time as the Pack, we get to view the Vikings on TV. We hope for a clear day so we can listen to the Packer game on a radio station out of Prairie du Chien.

The rest of the afternoon will involve keeping track of our fantasy football teams. It seems that most of my players have injuries. Seriously, how many starters in the NFL are not playing because of injuries? Or am I just unlucky enough to have them all on my roster?

I also will be finishing assignments for the graduate class I'm taking so I do not have to rush around tomorrow trying to complete them.

Look for a blog entry after Wednesday night when according to the newspaper local celebrities (including the one I'm married to) take on a Harlem Globetrotter type team in a basketball game fundraiser for the Jaycees. Let's just hope none of the local celebrities get injuried! :)

No comments:

Family and Friends Slide Show