Mostly Musings About Food, Family, and Books

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Because of My Brother's Reminder

If a blog is anything like a pet yours would be dead!!! I know it is a lot of work but now that you have some of us hooked it is not fair to us when we go check it and it is the same ols shi-? I want to see what's new with you and your family, after all this was your idea.

Love,

Your Favorite Brother Tom

OK! You are right brother Tom (and I know you won't mind hearing those words), and you've been heard. Plus...it is Michael's senior year, and it should be documented!

First of all, let me get this on the web! I'm so proud of Aaron Rodgers. I don't care if he stinks the rest of the season. He handled himself so well AND they beat the Vikings in the opening game of the season on Monday night. Something Favre and Company always had difficulty doing. Props to the rest of the Packers too! It was exciting, and I could barely watch the fourth quarter. I do hope they tighten up the game though and avoid all of those penalties. They were making me tear out my hair. Although I did enjoy watching Aaron Rodgers, I wish Tony Romo would leave Dallas and come home! It's so hard to watch Dallas and wish Tony well, when...we'll it's Dallas!











Now, onto high school football. Our high school team has lost two heartbreakers. Each one by 1 point. They are outplaying their opponent, they just can't score in the red zone. UGH! Hopefully it will all come together this Friday. My mom and Bob came to see the home opener, which was a great game. Thanks to Bob for all the great pictures.

Michael has been playing the whole game at tight end and defensive end. Some of you have been receiving David's weekly reports, which are pretty much play by plays. I should just copy and paste them here, but that would take a lot of work. If anyone truly wants it, let me know, and I'll put it in.

This community loves their high school football. Michael is often asked by people in church and in the community how he is feeling after a game from people who either come to the game or listen to it on the radio. He's having fun, he's playing hard, and that's all that matters. He is done working at the pool, but is still working at the local restaurant. I could tell you funny work stories, but I'll respect his privacy on the www and refrain. He's loving the freedom which comes with attending high school and college classes at the same time. Speaking of college...You will hear this a thousand times from me this year, but I have to let you know again...boy am I gonna miss this kid when he leaves home next fall. He's been an absolute joy to raise and we really couldn't have asked for more!!

Drew and Rachel are each practicing in their respective sports. Drew is playing football, Rachel is playing volleyball. Drew's first game is next week. Rachel has one game (or whatever they call it in volleyball) under her belt and has an away game, where her Grandma Beverly and Grandpa Tom will be to watch her. Rachel starts dance this week. They are both enjoying (although I don't think they'd admit it) being in the same choir and band in the junior high and confirmation class at church. The nice thing about having Irish twins? They keep each other in line. They both lift weights twice a week at 7 a.m., so I get home from my early morning walk with friends, jump in the car and drive them to school to lift.

I'm loving my job! I have 10 wonderful students. I'm also taking two courses right now. One at Iowa and one at Iowa State. I love the Iowa State course. It's videostreamed over the internet and we meet on campus 4 times during the semester. The Iowa course is independent study and is not the most interesting. Both of them require lots of work, so David is taking the brunt of housework, etc... right now.

I'm back to having problems with the cold. I'm in contact with my doctor at Mayo. I have goosebumps pretty much all day now that the weather is changing and my foot has started feeling like it is in a bucket of ice water again. It is exhausing to be so cold all the time. Today it was 70 degrees (probably a little less in my classroom) and I was wearing three layers (two layered shirts and a jacket) and I was freezing---not kidding---goosebumps on my legs and arms the whole day. We'll have to see what comes of this. I'm back on the blood pressure pills to help circulation get to my left foot in order to avoid getting sores on my toes. It seems to happen a little earlier and it's more severe every year. Hopefully the doctor can find something that makes life in the fall, winter, and spring a little more tolerable, without telling me to move to a more moderate climate...although really, how much more moderate can you get than 70 degrees. I guess it has to be hot. It sure was wonderful to be pain free during the summer. Dad..make room for me in Naples! I may be heading your way.

I'll try to update more often. I have an awesome recipe to add with couscous, watermelon, oranges, coconut milk, vanilla bean, and cardamom! It was so good that the kids kept going back for more. Not necessarily totally localvore food (although it is watermelon season, and we did buy the watermelon from the lcoal farmer's market in an effort to avoid wasting oil by hauling a fruit mostly made of water across the country). I guess we'll have to find a way to replace the citrus with local fruits.

And..we have been drying tomatoes in our food dehydrator like crazy. They are delicious. The fingerling potatoes from our garden are pretty darn good too! Now, if only everyone was home to eat at one time. One more thing...if you see scarlett runner bean blossoms at your local farmer's market, buy them and put them in a salad. They are beautiful and tasty!!

Until next time!

amh


ONE MORE THING!!!
HAPPY LATE 30TH BIRTHDAY TO MY SISTER!
HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY TO MY DAD!
HAPPY 5TH BIRTHDAY TO GRACIE!
HAPPY LATE LATE LATE BIRTHDAY TO TUCKER!
HAPPY LATE LATE LATE BITHDAY TO ETHAN!
HAPPY LATE LATE LATE LATE BIRTHDAY TO RITA!
HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY TO DREW AND RACHEL!
HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY TO ISABEL!

I THINK I'M COVERED NOW!








No comments:

Family and Friends Slide Show