Mostly Musings About Food, Family, and Books

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

We Are Here!

Days of packing boxes, moving boxes, and cleaning are behind us. Now we just have to unpack boxes. I'm not sure which part of this is the best and which is the worst. What I am sure of is that I love my kitchen!!!

Fortunately, considering our situation, I have not had the opportunity to cook in it yet. A friend cooked for us on Monday, and a co-worker tonight. Our aching bodies have been nourished by delicious carbohydrates, salads, and desserts. It almost takes away the pain of moving.

As the kids were helping me finish cleaning at the old house tonight, I had the thought that they may never desire to move in their adulthood. I grew up moving a lot, and just continued as an adult. I've lived in Green Bay (four separate times), Stevens Point, Iron Mountain, Neenah-Menasha, West Bend, Kewaskum, Wichita, Madison, St. Cloud, Greenfield, Manitowoc, Ainsworth, Leavenworth, Sleepy Eye, Ironwood, and Cresco.

I have a feeling they will settle down somewhere for a long time after college. They've already started making comments about how long we will stay in this house. Andrew thinks this is a house has a great kitchen and yard for his graduation party in 2013. I think he's dropping a hint that he wants to stay here for awhile.

Michael's comment about the house was he likes it, but it really doesn't matter since he'll only be here for a year and five months anyway. That felt like a punch in the stomach. How can he be that close to graduating? It was just yesterday that we were in St. Cloud and he was five months old, and I was dancing to Amy Grant's Baby Baby with him in my arms. (Speaking of St. Cloud and moving....we lived in two different apartments in St. Cloud. That's two moves in one town. Manitowoc was like that too--Magnolia Street and 7th Street. Madison had five moves-- Conover, State Street, Dayton Street Apartments, the Gritty, and a little house that I lived in one summer.) I have packed and unpacked my fair share of boxes!

The great thing about moving is you get a fresh start. You can't move this many times and see the glass as half empty. We have met awesome people, lived in interesting places, and know much more about the world (or at least the midwest). I can recommend a restaurant or an interesting place to shop or visit for just about any location in Wisconsin, Minnesota, northern Iowa, northern Nebraska, and the Upper Peninsula. You gotta love that!

As for right now though, I love my new house. I've waited for this house for my whole married life. And I agree with Drew, it would be a great place to hold a graduation party. I just wish it wasn't a year away.

1 comment:

chartberg said...

Congratulations on your new home! I've been keeping up on how things are going through Ryan & Beverly. Sounds like the unpacking & settling in are going well. We definitely cannot wait to see it and will make a trip down after this baby decides to come & we get settled again. We miss seeing you, but are glad it's just a short drive to be with you all! Until then....

Love to the family!
~ Christy

Family and Friends Slide Show