
The small little pesimistic part of me that exists says the following: Call it dumb luck. Call it our luck. Call it 2007...the Year We Would Like to Forget!
Recently we made arrangements to take a trip to San Diego in November. Sounds great, right? I checked everything out...the weather, day trips, the facilities at the resort, hiking options, beaches, restaurants, what identification we needed to get the kids into Mexico, etc... I emailed my cousin in LA, to see if we could come visit her. All looked good, so we reserved a 2 bedroom condo at a resort in Ramona, California and bought our airline tickets.
Today David called me while he was on his way to La Crosse and told me that residents of Ramona, CA were being evacuated because of raging fires. Not our Ramona, CA, right? I mean, c'mon, we'd never even heard of Ramona, CA until a couple of weeks ago. Could it be that Ramona, CA? Of course! This is 2007! It is our Ramona, CA!
An excerpt from CNN.com (if you click above on the word Ramona, CA, you'll get the whole article)
A long line of vehicles streamed westward out of Ramona, northeast of San Diego, on Monday morning after the mandatory evacuation order as flames of the Witch wildfire closed rapidly on the San Diego County community of 10,000 homes.
The 2003 Cedar fire remains fresh in residents' memories. It killed a dozen people south of Ramona four years ago this week, consuming more than 280,000 acres near the town.
The Witch fire was one of several major wildfires to ignite Sunday around Los Angeles and San Diego, fueled by hot, dry conditions and pushed by fierce Santa Ana winds. The blaze threatened thousands of homes.
The bigger optimistic part of me realizes the following. This fire could have come while we were at the Riviera Oaks Resort, which now has a warning on its website stating that the resort has been evacuated due to local fire danger. I am grateful that we are not there now, and I feel great sadness for the people who are currently staying at the resort, for the people who rely on that resort to make a living for themselves, for those who are scheduled to be at that resort in the next few weeks and for the people who live in that flame infested area.
I wish though that in the pregnant pause between when they asked me if I would like to purchase trip insurance and my answer of no, I would have thought about wildfires or hurricane force winds, or something like that. Who would have known?
We'll keep you updated!
Anne
No comments:
Post a Comment