Rachel and I have been enjoying the fruits of our labor. We've been eating something from our garden (or a friend's garden) nearly every meal for the past two weeks. We've picked or consumed local raspberries, strawberries, lettuce, peas, and radishes. Rachel has realized that the whole localvore movement is not only to reduce the amount of oil used to transport our food to our tables, but because locally produced food tastes better becuase it is so fresh.
Rachel has joined me in my quest to live on a farm. I doubt we can talk the boys into another move, so we'll just have to make due with what we have. We are already planning our garden next year. First of all, we're getting rid of the standard rectangular garden and moving to the square foot gardening system. We had it before, and it works wonders for weeding and efficient production of produce.
We are also going to get out much earlier to plant so we can have fresh food sooner than what we have now, and we are going to find a way to end our bunny problem. After seeing how much they ate out of our garden, I can't even believe we tried to save six baby bunnies earlier this summer. Thieves!
Last night Rach and I shelled peas and blanched them so they could be frozen. Today I'll be checking out chest freezers. We have so many things we want to preserve by freezing. We may take baby steps on this though. We'll see what the rest of our harvest brings.
Gotta run.
a
No comments:
Post a Comment